Sunday 26 April 2015

This could have been bad timing

After a lively service at St. Mary's Church in Market Drayton this morning we got ready to untie our ropes. Before pushing the boat out I checked, as I always do, to see if there were any boats coming. Approaching from behind was a pair of hotel boats, one towing the other. They were going slowly, but I judged that it would be rude of me to pull out, so I waited. I was able to set off as soon as they had passed, and I was catching up in tickover.

Fortunately they pulled in to the services, so we were hardly delayed at all. Not that we're in a rush, of course!

Market Drayton has plenty of black-and-white timbered buildings. These seem to be common in this part of the world. We'll see more in Nantwich tomorrow.

I managed to get a snap of a common sandpiper this afternoon. It was being obligingly still ...

... unlike this kingfisher. Yes, it is a kingfisher, although its bright colours are not evident.

I must have seen four or five kingfishers today, always a thrill.

We're now tied up above Lock 12 at Audlem. Despite the "bonglers" the boat occasionally nudges the Shroppie Shelf, but I daresay it won't disturb us tonight.

No comments: