Saturday 5 December 2009

All marbles accounted for


photo by Jan

At the "Frost Fair" held last night in the local Methodist Church I won the "marbles into the upturned flower pot" competition. In a variation from the usual, the task this time was to spoon all the marbles into the hole in the shortest time. Previous marbles competitions have all been won on the most marbles in a set time, usually a minute.

I have lost count of the times I've won these marbles competitions. One of these days I'll be banned.

The prize this time (for a total stake of 40p) was a Santa Selection Box of Cadbury's chocolate bars (and buttons).

But how do I link this to canals? I know, I'll search for "narrowboats marbles". This is what turned up: a link to the Black Country podcast (5.4Mb) from VisitBritain "to learn about the industrial heritage of the area, west of Birmingham in England's Midlands. Visit the intriguing trade museums and explore hidden gems including a canal boat trip through Dudley Tunnel built in 1778 and have a drink in the Crooked House, a 258 year old pub where marbles roll up hill."

Must be good beer!

2 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

And of course you have "Granny Buttons" for the buttons bit

Anonymous said...

Then what you do next is thread string thru em all & use them as Christmas decs, oops, just realised thats impossible too. (Must've lost me marbles)

H