Monday 31 August 2015

Oatcake Boat comes up with the goods

We reached Westport Lake, just the other side of Harecastle Tunnel this afternoon, just before the rain turned quite heavy. I had intended to change the oil, but that will wait for a drier day. Instead I tackled the grisly job of cleaning out the shower sump, hoping that that would make the float switch work better. It didn't, so I need to buy a new float switch.

As we tied up Jan noticed a boat in front was a food boat of some sort, so I went to investigate and found the Oatcake Boat.

I love North Staffordshire Oatcakes, especially when they are filled with melted cheese, so I made sure I went back to it before they shut.

By this time Adrian and Chris had joined us on Essence having got a later passage through the tunnel. We all enjoyed the good value fare. The oatcake lady does much of her trade when Stoke City Football Club is playing at home; she positions her boat near the Britannia Stadium. She was telling us that fans have made a tradition of buying an oatcake from her on match days. The most popular filling is cheese and bacon (£2).

I had a cheese one (£1.30)and a "special" (£1).

I mentioned the rain. It wasn't too bad earlier in the day when we were coming down the bottom end of the Macclesfield Canal, but all yesterday's views had disappeared behind a low cloud.

I think Mow Cop is behind here somewhere.

It was good meeting up with Adrian and Chris again; they joined us for tea as did Jan's former college friend Jane.

edited for corrections

1 comment:

Mrs.D said...

And it was a lovely evening we spent with you. Thank you.