Saturday 26 March 2011

Sunny day out at Tardebigge, and finding a lock by satnav


After Braunston last Sunday I drove to Birmingham to stay overnight with Ally and Ben. The next day, while Ben was at uni, Ally and I took a picnic to the locks at Tardebigge on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal. It was a very pleasant sunny spring day.


My parking spot by Bridge 55. When using the satnav to drive somewhere such as this - with no post code - I pinpoint the spot on the satnav's map and tell it that's where I want to go. My device is a Garmin and doesn't mark locks, so I used an OS map (actually streetmap.co.uk) to find the exact place. Then it's a simple matter to correlated that to the satnav's map, select "shortest distance", and press "go". It's somehow very satisfying to be directed to precisely the right place, within a few yards.

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
I like the look of your Volvo - is it am Amazon? How about a post on it?
Andy.

Halfie said...

Yes, it's a 1969 Amazon. I have posted about it before - try clicking the "cars" label on the right-hand side. But, yes, I could always do another post on it.