Friday 2 July 2010

Braunston 2010: Gongoozlers' Rest floating café


At about ten to two on Sunday I was feeling decidedly peckish. The Gongoozlers' Rest café, a narrowboat moored outside the Stop House in Braunston, had a sign declaring that serving stopped at 2pm, so I ordered the closest thing to a cooked breakfast they did at that time, the real thing not being served after 11 or some such ridiculously early time. (Why do many eateries stop serving cooked breakfasts early? Why can't you get one at lunchtime?)

The closest to a cooked breakfast was almost the same thing, but in a bun (or roll/bap/barm cake/whatever you call it).

Two eggs, two sausages, two rashers of bacon. Excellent, if made a little dry owing to the bread. I think the intention was for it to be eaten by biting the roll, but I asked for a knife and fork to ensure I didn't lose too much. I'm reasonably sure it cost £3.30, but I invested another pound in an excellent large mug of tea, which stayed hot (but that might have had something to do with the weather).

That's the floating café in the background of the photo.

(edited to add link)

1 comment:

Vallypee said...

Yum! Not bad at all Halfie!