Friday 25 April 2008

a little bike maintenance

I really need a new bike, as Maffi noticed recently. There's not much that's original on my 25-year-old Falcon Oxford. Thinking about it, it's actually only the frame, the brakes, and the pedals which came from the shop in Milton Keynes. Wheels, mudguards, brake cables, brake blocks, gears, sprockets, chain, lights, saddle ... they're all "new". Well. they were new once. Now it's all rather decrepit.



But I did replace the front brake blocks the other day, so it keeps going. Or, rather, keeps stopping. The "bottom bracket" - as I think it's called - is seriously worn and will need replacing in, oh, a couple of years I should think. I did effect a major improvement last summer: I discovered paniers. They're brilliant! How I rode the previous 50,000 miles without them I don't know. Now I can carry so much more, and without noticing.

An essential piece of kit for the boater is the bicycle. Have you freed yours yet, Mort?

2 comments:

MortimerBones said...

My bike has been liberated! I would be more than happy to swap mine for yours though.... and Maffi says you can have the one off his roof if you get yourself a back wheel (his fell in the water when he got too friendly with a tree)

Halfie said...

My bike must be one of the worst condition bikes on the road (or towpath). You really wouldn't want it. It's only inertia that holds it together - inertia and rust. (Ah! Our TWO main weapons are...) It's been in a serious accident, and been bent under a canal bridge in Stoke-on-Trent. No, you really wouldn't want it. Even the paniers have a hole in them, from when a bottom corner got caught up in the spokes several times before I modified them (the paniers).

Now Maffi's offer is interesting - but, Maffi, you need your bike too.

Have you hidden a spare key for your new lock in a safe place, Mort (a locker at work, perhaps)?