Friday 28 May 2021

How often does a canal flood?

Ah - that's better. Photos have uploaded, so now I can write about yesterday and today.

The newish flats at Dickens Heath have been furnished with flood boards, which would seem to me to be an unnecessary and expensive precaution.  Canals rarely flood as they have overspill weirs to deal with excess water.
 
I suppose in an extreme case of a huge downpour the overspill weirs might not cope immediately, but would the canal really rise above the edge?  Perhaps there's another watercourse nearby which I haven't considered ...
Well, summer seemed to arrive suddenly yesterday. I did quite a bit of cycling around King's Heath, Stirchley and Yardley Wood and got quite warm. Back on the boat we enjoyed the rural Stratford Canal away from the Birmingham connurbation.
We stopped at Hockley Heath where we joined fellow BCFers Ingrid and Kit for drinks in the Wharf Tavern.
Today we continued down the Stratford Canal. We met up with my former colleague Ian, who has recently joined the ranks of the retired. We gave him a lift from Hockley Heath down to Lapworth Top Lock and enjoyed a chat in his garden.
This is the only photo I took on the Lapworth Flight.
At Bridge 35, two locks above the Lapworth Link, the fierce bywash pushed the boat into the brick arch. Some paint was removed from the top left corner. A boat was following us down the locks; I reckon the extra water coming down with it was what caused the problem.

We turned right onto the Grand Union and passed this pair of gently rotting hulks. 
 
I think I photograph them every time we pass - it would be interesting to juxtapose the images to see the decline.
One more photo for you: Shrewley Tunnel north west portal with horse tunnel.
We tied up half a mile before Hatton Locks: we have that joy tomorrow. In dry conditions! (We had some light rain on the GU.)

1 comment:

nb Bonjour said...

Have you ever walked around the Dickens Heath area or gone to the shops? The settlement is called something else entirely. We call it Stepford Wives as it is all unnaturally tidy, but it seems to be all paved with very little earth to be seen. Perhaps the flooding comes off the paving, down that weird water feature and floods the canal!
*NPBC - thanks for jogging my memory! Sometimes I think we have joined their ranks.
Debby