Tuesday 12 May 2015

The music of Rugby

One thing I omitted from yesterday's account of hire boat mishaps was my rushing to the aid of someone who had fallen in the water. We were outside considering repositioning our boat when I heard a commotion from the hire boat in front. I looked and saw a man's head above the water, so I rushed over to help pull him out. He was, I estimate, in his seventies; one of the crew had already got him mostly out and I was able to help with the last bit and retrieve his hat before it sank. He was fine, but obviously rather wet.

Today we had a "free day" in which we explored Rugby a bit. The loos opposite the Clocktower shopping centre have a fine brick frieze depicting several events from Rugby's history.

There are lime kilns, the canal, the railway, the jet engine (shown as powering two Gloster aeroplanes) and masts from the radio station. There is also supposed to be a steam engine, but the machine in the centre looks more like an internal combustion engine to me.

We went to a lunchtime concert in St. Andrew's Church given by pupils from Rugby School. This was very enjoyable with performances ranging from solo piano to double flute, guitar and cello quartet to choir. I particularly enjoyed the Debussy (Clair de Lune) and Beethoven (a movement from a piano sonata).

We had lunch in a "hub community café". I had a fry-up (yum yum!) and Jan had lasagne. The café does an excellent job supporting and employing people with learning difficulties. We will go there again next time we pass through.

Our route back to the boat took us through Caldecott Park which featured this striking stainless steel sculpture of a tuba player.

The sculpture is called "Echo" and is by Hilary Cartmel.

No comments: