Saturday 7 November 2009

Timelapse: Wrenbury to Bettisfield



Day two of the cruise is here in its entirety. One snapshot every twenty seconds, that is. So there are some bits missed out, but you get the idea. There are lots of lift bridges in this section: in most instances I lift them as Jan steers through. There are also ten locks, including the three-rise staircase at Grindley Brook. You'll see that we pause just above Grindley Brook. That's when I used the shower in the excellent facilities block. From the way the boat moves around it looks like I tied it on the centre rope only. This could have ended badly: The centre rope was frayed where it passed over the cabin top's hand rail, and it was to snap later. It held for now, though, and we were able to continue without incident.

During this section I reposition the camera from the bow to the cabin top to remove it from the danger of getting soaked by leaking top gates in the locks.

9 comments:

Stephen said...

A bit fast!

I know what you mean about the ropes. I have seen some interesting events occur sailing when ropes haven't been attached properly at all.

On one occasion whilst anchoring, a neighbouring yacht in our flotilla let out all its chain, only to find that despite half a season's use it had never been fixed to the boat! Fortunately I was able to snorkel down to it in and retrieve it from the bottom, about ten metres down. I was hero of the moment! The flotilla lead crew were useless but were able to cancel the diver they had called for.

At least on the canals there's a limit to how a stray boat will go!

Halfie said...

Steve, yes, it is a bit too fast. Next time I'll reduce the interval between images to a maximum of 10 seconds. That'll give a smoother result (but it'll take longer to view!)

Anonymous said...

I also found it too fast.

Can you explain why this word verification is needed?

H. Senior

Halfie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vallypee said...

These timelapse films are grat Halfie, but I find if they go this fast, I actually feel sick! Like a kind of car sickness. Strange hey?

Vallypee said...

By the way, you had a beautiful start to the cruising, didn't you? The light is gorgeous in the first half. What a lovely canal!

Halfie said...

H. Senior, I had forgotten that word verification was enabled. It's supposed to be a means of minimising spam comments. It must be effective as I have never had any. I could try switching it off...

Halfie said...

VallyP, I'm sorry you find my timelapse sickening. I'll put a health warning on the next one! When I film more timelapse I'll reduce the interval between images. But there are five more from this cruise to go.

Yes, we had an excellent cruise, with mostly good weather.

Anonymous said...

If it works, leave it on. I was just curious.

H. Senior