Monday 2 November 2009

Timelapse: Tattenhall Marina to Wrenbury

For our October cruise on the Shropshire Union, LLangollen and Montgomery Canals I managed to get the timelapse camera working properly. I could see the results only when I got home, so it was then that I realised I'd probably set the interval between successive images too long, at 20 seconds. This has given a rather jerky feel to the motion, and it's rather too quick. Next time I'll set it to no more than 10 seconds.



The results are pleasing, though, especially considering that there's no viewfinder on the camera. I have to point it in what I hope is the right direction.

Here's the film from the first day: from Tattenhall Marina on the Shropshire Union Canal to Wrenbury on the LLangollen Canal. Nine and a half hours cruising compressed into just under three and a half minutes.

9 comments:

Jan said...

Very good. I like the cloud formations and colours in the sky.

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
How do you mount the camera so it dosnt come to any harm? Inside the cratch?
I like the idea.

Halfie said...

Jan,

I'm glad you like it.


Captain Ahab,

Initially I had the camera mounted on a small tripod on top of the water tank lid. Not very secure, and susceptible to getting a soaking in locks (or, for that matter, from rain). Then I used the "windscreen mount" which came with the camera to mount it near the top of the front window (Shadow has no cratch). This worked very well, despite having to "look" through two extra layers of glass (double glazing), and meant that I didn't have to worry about the weather or leaving the boat unattended.

I'll do a post about this soon.

Anonymous said...

hi dad. i thought i'd reach you quicker here than on your email. please check and reply to your email i just sent you!

Halfie said...

Anonymous, I have done so!

Vallypee said...

Very nice! I love the ending, where the light goes and all you can see is the lights from inside a boat. Lovely. That was a long stretch of cruising! Did you cross the aqueduct this time?

Halfie said...

VallyP,

Until we fully own our own boat we tend to do long days. Perhaps that should be I tend to do long days. No, we didn't get to Pontcysyllte this time, we did the Montgomery Canal instead.

nblazydays said...

Very spectacular, beautiful light. Unfortunately we will not be able to do this section this time because of lock closures. It looks from the timelapse that we will need to come back and do it.

Halfie said...

Alan, your comment is greatly encouraging. Wait until you see the Montgomery Canal!