Monday 9 November 2009

Reflections, and reflecting on reflections


On day 2 of our October cruise we set off from Wrenbury towards Wales. After the sun burned off the mist there was a period when the water was still glassy smooth, making for great reflection photos. Above is Wrenbury Church Lift Bridge.


Two views of Wrenbury Wharf; the lower photo showing more of the electrically operated Wrenbury Lift Bridge, where I had my bike had an "incident" on our return.


You want me to tell you about the incident? OK, I will. But not today. Can you wait until tomorrow?

Meanwhile here's Shadow gliding through still waters.


Have you noticed how the sky always looks better when reflected in water, either a smooth canal as here, or a puddle?

I think this might be the reason: No surface reflects perfectly - some light is scattered by imperfections - and so the reflected light is slightly less intense than the incident light. This must equate to a stop or two in photographic terms. So if the picture is exposed for the subject - the boat, in this case - then the sky tends to overexpose. But any reflected sky tends to be darker, allowing the colour to be more saturated.

The sky in the above photo appears almost white; but its reflection is blue. And you can see vapour trails, which are impossible to make out other than in the reflection. Well, actually, I have cropped the photo slightly, so you can't see the bit of sky where the vapour trails are. But you can take it from me that I can't see them in the original.

2 comments:

Andy Tidy said...

Strangely, I was pondering the intensity of reflected colour when I was looking at my post today about Bromford Junction on Captain Ahabs Watery Tales...
Andy

Halfie said...

I've just added you to my boatroll, Cap'n. Now I'll have to do some catching up!