Monday 27 August 2018

An action-packed last day of the festival

The weather forecast for today was dry - and dry it was. There was even some sunshine, and the crowds came back. I was busy all day, first setting up the rope throwing area, then a stint behind the bar from 1040 - 1300, finishing off with manning the rope throwing from 1430 - 1700. At lunchtime Paul Balmer came on board to provide the latest version of his Waterway Routes maps and to give me a mini-tutorial in more advanced use of the Memory-Map system. Tomorrow we shall be on the move once more, after more than a week at St Neots.

As is usual at festivals many boats had been decorated with lights and bunting. This was our view looking back …

… and this the view forward.

This year I seemed to spend little time at the Boaters' Christian Fellowship stand as I was doing so many other things on site. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing as there were enough other BCF members there, and I was wearing the BCF logo while doing all those other things. One task I didn't get involve in was bin emptying.

After tea, we went to the entertainments marquee where we took part in a home-spun musical evening, with the bar handily next door.

Jan played along on violin while I tootled on the recorder. Jan persuaded me to perform my party piece: simultaneous whistling and humming in harmony. I don't know what the audience thought; perhaps they couldn't hear me. They were polite enough to applaud when I'd finished, anyway.

Tomorrow, as I said, we will be leaving St Neots to go to St Ives as we start our "rush" to get off the Environment Agency waters before our visitor licence expires. Better get some sleep.

No comments: