Wednesday 3 September 2014

A Chance meeting and curry with Nev

We set off at 0830 from Willington, knowing that we would cross paths with Chance between here and Branston. Before we did so, we pulled in to Shobnall Wharf, the beginning of the former Bond End Canal, for diesel.

This was a delightful spot, and I'm pleased to say I made the tight turn without so much as a touch of the masonry.

The chandlery looked to have a huge range of stuff, only I couldn't think of anything we needed at the time.

A little later, when I was thinking "it must be coffee time", we saw the distinctive blue of nb Chance approaching. I waved madly whilst pulling in to the convenient piling - with rings - and then James saw the loonie was me and pulled in too.

Doug and James came on board for coffee, which turned into lunch. Fortunately we had a quantity of cold meats left over from last night's barbecue, and we had sufficient salad materials.

I set up my camera for a self-timed photo of us all - I haven't worked out how to lighten the image, Doug, I'm afraid you're a little in the dark. Sorry.

It was really good to see you both, and thanks for the wine. We talked non-stop, but eventually it was time to go our different ways.

It's nice to be back on a narrow canal again. This is Tatenhill Lock.

After a brief reprise of the Trent at Wychnor we arrived in Alrewas, where we tied up convenient for the curry house, seeming called merely "Alrewas".

We had arranged that Nev of nb Percy would join us. After a lemonade on Jubilee (yes, really) we walked over to the Indian restaurant. Jan was hoping for a "fruity Darjeeling" which she so enjoyed last time we were here, in Easter last year; we were dismayed to find that the place had seemingly changed hands since then. But they said they could make one, which they did, and it got the thumbs up.

It was excellent seeing you again, Nev - we had a really enjoyable evening. I'm looking forward to a look round Percy some time.

Here's the inevitable group shot (on a 1" exposure).

Now I'll see if I can get some sleep. We're moored under an oak tree which keeps dropping acorns with a "crack" on the boat. Hmm.

1 comment:

nb Chance said...

Great to see you both again yesterday and Many Thanks for lunch, look forward to the next time. Doug and James x