Thursday 27 October 2011

Mystery signpost


On the Oxford canal, along Fenny Compton "Tunnel", just southeast of the turnover bridge, is this signpost. Milages are carefully inscribed in the fingers, but the plates with the names of the places to which they refer have been removed. Great.


The milages given are: away from Oxford 44 3/4 and 26 3/4; towards Oxford 38 1/4 and 10 3/4. Taking the bigger distances first, the total is 83 miles. My Nicholson's gives the length of the Oxford Canal as 77 miles (Oxford to Hawkesbury Junction). So perhaps the distances are to Coventry and Oxford centres. And I think the smaller distances are to Rugby and Banbury.

3 comments:

Nev Wells said...

Scrap metal thieves .........?

Nick and weigh in anything nowadays

Anonymous said...

It's hard enough to guess where your mystery photos are - there's no need to remove the signs to make it harder! :-D

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

Halfie said...

Nev, I think the signs were plastic, judging from the look of others I saw in an unvandalised state.

Sue, I've slipped up. I should have asked you all to guess the location, and I've given it away!