Saturday 8 October 2011

The first of the season - and a mini quiz

I lit the fire today (even though the outside temperature hadn't dropped below 10º, my usual criterion). It's now nice and warm in the sitting room. I think we've done quite well holding out this long. Of course, we did have the recent balmy weather when a bit of cool was a welcome relief! I wonder how long it will be until we have to get the central heating going?


But I think we're all in for a few months of log burning. Or coal, for those who prefer it. I can almost smell the woodsmoke drifting from boat chimneys lining the towpath. One slight downside to a woodburner in the house is that you rarely actually smell your own smoke. Not like cruising along with the boat stove going: you can't help breathing in lovely lungfuls of the sweet smelling stuff.


Here's a mini quiz: where was the above picture of Shadow taken?

11 comments:

life afloat on nb tickety boo said...

Hi Halfie, can't help with the photo location, but just to say, I too get a real buzz after lighting the fire for the first time. Something very satisfying about it. Winter? Bring it on!
Debbie.

life afloat on nb tickety boo said...

Hi Halfie, can't help with the photo location, but just to say, I too get a real buzz after lighting the fire for the first time. Something very satisfying about it. Winter? Bring it on!
Debbie.

Halfie said...

Debbie, of course this morning (Sunday) it's very mild outside. Not fire weather at all - for now. Next week on the boat though ...

Neil Corbett said...

Very tough question. I don't recognise anything, but would guess it's on a river or in a canal basin.

have I been there?

Neil

Halfie said...

Neither river nor basin, Neil. I'd have to go through your log to see if you've been there, but it's a popular place.

Jan said...

Near Chester?

Halfie said...

Nope.

Halfie said...

Big clue: Nev (Waterlily) would know.

Roger Smith said...

Shadow is moored on the 48hr moorings at Fradley Junction between Junction Lock and Keepers Lock you can see the cafe and water point in the background as well as long term resident Just Mist.

Sat in the cafe posting this answer.

Halfie said...

Spot on, Roger. The photo was taken on 5th April 2009.

Neil Corbett said...

B***er, I have been there -and only this year too, but we didn't stop so I only glimpsed it.