Wednesday 24 February 2010

Rolt reading matter and more laughs


For my birthday I was very pleased to be given by Jan three books by L. T. C. Rolt: Thomas Telford; The Clouded Mirror; and The Landscape Trilogy. This builds on books I was given for Christmas which included Landscape with Canals, the second part of the trilogy, which I have almost finished reading. If the other books are as readable I'm going to enjoy this hugely.

I'm also reading Rolt's Victorian Engineering, which I got from the library. This is a fascinating account of how engineering developed in the nineteenth century, and of the people involved.

The laughs? Some friends came to share some wine and birthday cake. Jan had made a nice chocolate cake (sorry, no photo, it didn't hang around long enough), and we all had a piece. It was only when Annette was licking her fingers that she suddenly remembered that she'd given up chocolate for Lent! We all laughed a lot!

No comments: