Wednesday 1 April 2009

Soaring to new heights

At last we’re on the River Soar and have made it to Leicester. We’ve tied up at the Castle Park visitor moorings and are confident of a reasonably quiet night, apart from the sirens of ambulances going over West Bridge. The extra depth of the river made a big difference to our speed: on the canal revs of 1300 would propel us at 2.6 to 2.8 mph; on the river, according to the GPS, we reach 3.1 to 3.3 mph at the same engine speed.

We shared many of the locks from Kilby Bridge to here with Astoirin, which speeded things up. It did for them, anyway, as I cycled on ahead to set nearly all of the locks. We got to Leicester at just after 2 pm: Jan carried on with her dissertation while I did some boat maintenance. We went to Choral Evensong in the cathedral later, and ate in Indian Moment after that.

I forgot to mention yesterday that the pudding on offer at the Navigation in Kilby Bridge was a muffin. I had a yummy chocolate one, with a ramekin full of real cream, and the cost? A mere 50p!

Adam of Debdale suggested recently how I might resize photos for inclusion on my blog posts. I’m afraid I didn’t get beyond the “open with Microsoft Office Picture Manager” step: that doesn’t appear as an option on the “open with” list. I’ll have to try Roger’s (of NB Windsong) suggestion.

So, for now, another dull pictureless post. I'm hoping that normal service will be resumed before too long.

Loughborough tomorrow; sleep now! Good night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to wednesday 18th March? Did you not make it to Northolt?

Halfie said...

Sorry - I've got a bit out of sync with my blog posts (too much cruising!) Yes, we did make it to Northolt. When this present cruise has finished I'll complete the write-up.

What do I mean, too much cruising? There can never be too much cruising!