Tuesday 28 April 2009

Pouring oil on green waters


You may remember our little episode with the gearbox oil deciding to dump itself in the bilge. It happened not long into our cruise from Stockton to Chester. After it had been fixed I bailed out the engine bilge into milk containers. As can be seen, there was a large amount of antifreezy water there too.

There was more in the bilge, but I ran out of empty milk containers. By now it should have all been pumped out properly.

I was reminded of this just this evening, when I helped a friend get his car running after three months of sitting in the rain (the P1800, not the friend): we had to drain a lot of water out of the petrol tank - twice - before it would run consistently. We siphoned the water, then water/petrol, then petrol into a plastic measuring jug. The petrol and water separated out exactly like the oil and water above, only the colours were different. My hands still stink of petrol.

No comments: