Thursday 29 April 2021

To the very end of the Leek arm

I was just attaching the tiller arm this morning when a boat came past to go up the Stockton Brook Locks. I went back inside and had a cup of tea. After half-an-hour we set off but caught up the boat after three of the five locks.

Here is Jubilee coming up the top lock.
 
Further on was the "obstruction" in the canal, which is the pivot point for a long-gone swing footbridge.
The cows showed little interest as we made our way towards Hazlehurst Junction.
Straight on for the locks and Froghall; turn right for Leek. We turned right but ended up to the left of the Froghall branch as we crossed it on Hazlehurst Aqueduct.
Large houses overlook this sweeping bend. In fact, there are quite a few such properties on this canal.
As always, I went to the very end of the canal. The narrow channel ahead was formerly navigable but is now the feeder from the reservoir. The narrow channel ahead is the feeder from the reservoir; rocks and mud bar entry. The canal used to continue to the right, parallel to Barnfield Road. Wharf House is at the end of Barnfield Road, near the junction with the A53, possibly indicating the original end of the canal.
I knew I was unlikely to be able to wind, being ten feet longer than the advertised maximum, but I gave it a go. No, the boat wouldn't go round, so I reversed to tie up with the other moored boats 100 yards downstream.
We walked to Morrisons for supplies and had tea. I watched an IWA webinar about sustainable boating, during which Jan drew my attention to a pink sunset.
Tomorrow we'll have a look round Leek. Then we plan to head for Cheddleton. (Updated to correct duff info re. the end of the Leek Arm, and to correct spelling of Hazlehurst)

4 comments:

Nick said...

How long are you? We - in a fit of enthusiasm (and because we knew we'd done it decades ago) turned Mintball there a couple of years ago and we're 52'. It was not easy at all. But when you know you can do it...

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

You said "The narrow channel ahead was formerly navigable but is now the feeder from the reservoir..."

As shown on my maps, the only navigable channel once turned sharp right to approach Leek but, as far as I know, the channel straight ahead was only every a feeder. Have I missed some information about the feeder being navigable?

Mike Todd said...

My understanding is the same as Paul's and is confirmed by https://maps.nls.uk/view/101595743
which shows that the right turn is on to an aqueduct over the adjoining river. It than ran very straight to the wharf near the centre of the town. I cannot recall when it was closed at that point but I have a vague memory that it was connected to a problem with the aqueduct.

Halfie said...

Nick, Jubilee is 55' and it just would not go round.

Paul and Mike, you are absolutely right. My feeble excuse is that the small stub to the right, which used to be the remainder of the canal, ended where the ground fell away towards the top of the "bridge" over the river. I couldn't see how that could possibly be the line of the canal. But, of course, if there had been an aqueduct over the river, then that explains everything. Indeed, I looked at the "bridge" and thought to myself how massive and familiar the stonework looked. Just the sort of structure which would have supported an aqueduct.