On Monday I found the root of the problem. Our friends Chris and Di joined us for a (socially distanced, outside) coffee and I mentioned that I should have asked him to bring a chisel. As we talked Chris pulled off the (loose) horizontal architrave immediately under the threshold. The photo shows the bowed threshold with the architrave removed.
After lunch we continued south along the Shroppie to Brewood. On the way from Wheaton Aston were several areas where trees had been cut down, leaving logs for collection. They were mostly too big for us (with no chain saw on board) but I did find a few smaller pieces.
On Tuesday 20th April we continued our journey. After leaving Brewood we saw another sort of brood - of ducklings.With our supplies back on board we passed through the stop lock and turned left at Autherley Junction onto the Staffs and Worcs Canal. We tied up at Coven Heath, out of earshot of the M54. It was nice to hear one or two trains, though.
I'm almost up to date with this blog now. Tomorrow I shall write about a close encounter with Nev, Rachel and Percy.
(Updated to correct a typo)