Wednesday 28 April 2021

Broken stern fender, stiff Morse control, lovely Caldon Canal

It has been several years since we've been on the Caldon Canal; now we're enjoying this lovely waterway with lots of interesting features. First up was Etruria Staircase locks.
In the next lock, Planet Lock, Jan watched as the stern fender nudged the bottom gates as the lock filled. She continued to watch as the fender slipped to one side. Oops.
The left-hand chain has become detached from the fender - I suspect a shackle has failed. We tied up in Hanley Park and I made a repair of sorts, threading the chain through a loop of the ropework of the fender. I wonder how long it will last.
While we were stopped I had a go at freeing off the Morse control lever which had become very stiff. The last time the control got stiff was just before the gear control cable broke last year. I disconnected that cable from the Morse lever and pulled and pushed the inner. It felt a bit stiff, but not hugely so. With the cable disconnected I operated the Morse lever, which still felt a bit stiff, but not as stiff as before. I tried to dribble some oil down where the inner rod emerges from the outer sheath, but I don't know if this will make any difference. The Morse lever itself looks a bit like it's coming apart, so I think this is the real problem. With the gear cable reconnected it all felt much like it did before, i.e. too stiff.
Those cables look a mess, don't they? Some of that is how it was when I bought the boat but some is down to me!

Speaking of cables, not far above Hanley Park was this canalside box disgorging its innards.  I have noticed a few of these anonymous boxes - do you know what they do?
 
Of the three lift bridges encountered so far two - Ivy House Lift Bridge and this one at Norton Green - are electro-hydraulic operated by BW key; the third is manual hydraulic operated by (large-eye) windlass.

Interestingly, the control panel for this Norton Green lift bridge is user-friendly, being on the towpath side.
 
We tied up below Stockton Brook Locks and went for a walk before tea. Crossing the middle of the flight is an abandoned railway line. This is complete with concrete sleepers and rails. There are a few trees to clear before trains can run again.
From the urban surroundings of Etruria it's not far to the rural scene of lambs in the evening sunshine.

No comments: