Tuesday 6 August 2019

Weed clearing, Spiderman and a concert

This morning I cycled along the towpath to Paddington to suss out what moorings were available nearer the centre of town. I noted the nearest free spot, which was just beyond Harrow Road Bridge 3. Back at the boat we set off, and were pleased to find that the mooring was still vacant. On the way we passed the famous gasholder view.

Perhaps not so well-known a view is one of Spiderman - from behind - fixed to a balcony overlooking the canal.

While on my bike ride I witnessed a team clearing some of the duckweed from Little Venice. I suppose it looks better for the tourists if the water doesn't look like grass.

This evening we went to a BBC Proms concert at the Royal Albert Hall, paying just £6 each for the arena.

The concert ended with Tchaikovsky's sixth symphony, but the stand-out performance was of a cello concerto in the first half. This was by a composer I hadn't heard of, Weinberg, and the soloist was Sol Gabetta, whom I hadn't heard of either. We had just about the best seats standing positions in the house with a perfect view of the soloist. She played superbly and had the audience spellbound. Tomorrow we might go to another prom.

No comments: