Friday 2 August 2019

Lock landing perfect for pitching your tent?

Coming down Batchworth Lock I saw a man apparently hacksawing off his chimney. I wonder why he was doing that.

At Uxbridge Lock a canoeist had pitched camp on the lock landing. At the previous lock the lock landing was occupied by anglers.

Shortly after this I saw a motorcyclist come down onto the towpath. He saw me with a camera … and hesitated. He waited until I was out of sight, then rode along the towpath in the same direction as we were going.

He obviously knew he shouldn't have been doing it as he tried to move his helmet to shield his face. When he realised that he couldn't see where he was going he let me get a clear (-ish) shot.


We were intending to get to Cowley Lock, another mile further on, but Jan spotted a BCF sticker in the window of a boat at Hillingdon Canal Club, saw a man there and somehow guessed who it was. A called-out greeting confirmed her suspicion … and we ended up tying alongside and sharing their barbecue. It was good to meet Stuart and Deborah of The Lady Leah.

After the food we joined them in the club room for a drink and chat. Behind the bar was Peter, an IWA stalwart with whom I have worked in previous IWA festivals marking out traders' pitches.

At lunchtime today I thought I'd better check out the booking situation for central London moorings - and discovered that they were all booked up for when we were intending to be there. We will now rethink our plans, and may stay here for another day.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

Greta to have you guys for a couple of days. Stuart and Deborah

Wigs and Weaves said...

Great readinng your post