Thursday 15 November 2012

The curious incident of the penguin in the night-time

OK, it was more than one Penguin, and it was in my local Tesco Express (but it was after dark).

A few days ago I wrote about how I appeared to have been undercharged for some packs of Penguin chocolate biscuits. I queried this with Tesco. To recap briefly: under a "buy one get two free" offer I expected to pay £3.64, whereas I was charged only £3.50.

Today I received a reply from Louis Boston, a Tesco customer service manager, who writes:

With regards to this, it does seem as though the maths are out on this occasion and unfortunately I have no explanation for it. I am confident however that if you bring it to the attention of the staff in the store on your next visit, they may be able to find out how this happened.

Further to this, I would like to think that you haven't been overcharged but I cannot say you haven't as there is nothing to go on. Hopefully you haven't been but please be assured that if you are ever overcharged, our stores will refund a double the difference.

Hmm. Worrying. Tesco admits it might be overcharging customers.

Or does it?

Mr Boston's e-mail contains the rider

"The views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not Tesco".

You can't have it both ways, Tesco. Mr Boston is writing as a Tesco employee, from a Tesco e-mail address and with a Tesco logo at the foot of the message. The views are those of Tesco.

4 comments:

flingel said...

I'm afraid this is typical of my experience when you feed something back to one of these large companies - they often don't properly read what you're saying and just assume that if you're feeding back at all, you must be complaining. It's clear he hasn't picked up that you're saying you've been undercharged rather than overcharged.

And to say - "the maths are out on this occasion and unfortunately I have no explanation for it" - a little worrying! (There is of course - as always - an explanation for it, but he just hasn't investigated further).

Neil Corbett said...

John
I note i am getting email copies of your comments on Herbie (normal), but the comments don't appear on the blog. I can't understand why. As far as I can tell, it's only you it happens to. What has Blogger got against you? Are you doing something out of the ordinary in sending your comments?

Neil

Halfie said...

Flingel, I got the impression he HAD understood I was saying I'd been undercharged, but was responding to my fear that if Tesco could undercharge on one occasion then they could also overcharge on another. You're right, there IS an explanation somewhere, but they haven't come up with it yet. And it's probably what you suggested earlier.

Neil, so it's not that you're censoring my comments, then? It happens sometimes when I post comments on other blogs too. I think it must be related to the fact that I'm using a Mac which is more than six years old with un-updateable software (apparently). Blogger always "complains" about my browser not being compatible. I've tried upgrading the browser (Safari version 3.2.1) but it's impossible. I'll have to comment using Jan's (PC) laptop or do it from work. Annoying.

Vallypee said...

I sometimes have that problem too, John...with my Mac, I mean, not Tescos! I also use old software because my mac is old as well.