Sunday 11 November 2012

Narrowboats in the Fens from the train

Last Wednesday I travelled to Cambridge by train for work, and looked out, as usual, for boats. This time I saw some moored up on what I think must be the Little Ouse in the Lakenheath area.

Can't see them? Here they are! (click on photo to enlarge)

Still not very visible, I know. Shortly after this the train was held up at a level crossing at Shippea Hill. We were told that there was a problem with the barriers. We were stopped, and so was the road traffic.

The guard was in the middle of his third apology for the delay when we suddenly lurched forward under way again. The guard said, "Oh!", and everyone in the carriage laughed.

I wonder if the problem was anything to do with a resignalling project in progress on the line.

Signalling Solutions says this on its website:

Ely to Norwich is one of two pilot projects established to develop a “Modular Signalling” approach to the challenge of cost effectively signalling low density lines.

It's piloting "plug and play" cables and "lightweight" signals. (I'm no railway buff: I'm merely reporting what the company says.)

No comments: