Sunday 6 June 2010

Paul plots a Waterway Route through ranking data

I discovered today that Paul Balmer of Waterway Routes has produced graphs plotting the ups and downs of the fortunes of some waterways websites as ranked by Tony Blews.

UK Waterways Ranking Site - Top 15   © Paul Balmer 2010



(Paul, I hope you don't mind me reproducing an example here: to the right is a smaller version of the graph below.)

UK Waterways Ranking Site - Top 15   © Paul Balmer 2010

Clicking on either graph will take you to Paul's website, and more graphs

As you can see, the graphs cover the time from November 2009 to March 2010, and show how the hit counts vary over that four month period. If you can pick out the coloured line you're interested in, you can easily tell how it's doing compared to the rest. Paul has made several other graphs, some of which have fewer lines and are thus easier to read.

It's all very impressive, and would be even more so if Paul could do a "real time" graph, and where you could choose which website(s) to follow. But that could be a lot of work.

When I started this post I was going to say that it knocks my weekly snapshot of Tony's chart into a cocked hat, but now I'm not sure. If you tried to display all 110 (currently) UK waterways websites listed by Tony Blews the graph would be almost unreadable. Unless, as I say, Paul could come up with a way of filtering the information you wanted.


Crick Boat Show 2010 - Our Stand   © Paul Balmer 2010

I met Paul at his stand at Crick (again, I've borrowed an image from your blog, Paul - hope that's OK), and talked about timelapse filming. His "bowcam" films are made by speeding up real time footage from a camera recording onto a hard drive (or was it onto memory card?). My efforts at timelapse have mostly been using a camera set to capture images at fixed intervals, of 30 seconds or so. The advantage of speeding up real time footage, as Paul does, is that you can slow down for interesting bits, and zoom along where there are no locks, junctions or other notable features.

No comments: