Monday 1 April 2019

Changing the bed

I don't know how often one is supposed to replace one's mattress, but we thought it was probably about time. The old one was getting slightly saggy in the middle, and there was at least one slightly sharp bit which I could occasionally feel prodding me.

I mentioned that we'd ordered and paid for a new mattress; yesterday it came. First we had to get the old one out ...

... and wait for the new one to arrive.

Getting it in through the bow doors was the best way ...

... but it was a bit of a struggle.

We pushed ...

... and twisted ...

... and HEAVED ...

... until, finally ...

... it was IN.

That, as I say, was yesterday. I expressed a small doubt about the wisdom of buying a cheapo mattress but, having slept on it, I can report that it seems absolutely fine. Comfortable, not too bouncy - and no sharp bits. It doesn't sag - if anything, it tends to roll us to the edges, so does it have an in-built anti-sag bias? No, I don't think so either.

All photos were taken by Ben; he, Ally, Josiah and Micah came to visit us for the afternoon.

After tea they drove home and we moved on to King's Norton Junction.

2 comments:

Adam said...

I remember that when we bought a new mattress for Briar Rose, the old one came out very easily — but the new one was a nightmare to get in. I realised it was because the old one was so flimsy I could easily fold it, but the new one was so stiff it wouldn’t go round any corners!

Vallypee said...

This made me smile! The photos say it all...I've just bought a new bed for my barge. The one I built in when I first did the conversion had....horror of horrors, signs of woodworm...so I've bought a metal framed one (beasties beware'). As it's wider, I'll be wrestling with a new mattress too.