Saturday 6 April 2019

A passage through Dudley Tunnel

Ever since fellow BCFer Tim organised a trip through Dudley Tunnel I had been looking forward to it.

51 members of the Boaters' Christian Fellowship and guests - and one guide dog - boarded the Dudley Canal and Tunnel Trust's boat Richard ...

... donning hard hats as instructed.

We had gathered at the Trust's new visitor centre opposite the Black Country Living Museum and been transported by coach to the Parkhead end of the tunnel. After some brief health&safety instructions we were off, heading for the southern portal. It was this profile gauge which prevented us from entering on Jubilee a couple of years ago, but now here we were going in to the last major canal tunnel on my "list".

The trip boat had excellent lighting: a powerful forward-facing tunnel light and strips of LEDs along the central top plank steel beam.

I was surprised and pleased to see that I was able to take reasonable photos using just the trip boat's light (we were asked not to use flash, not that I would have done).

Most of the tunnel is brick lined, but there are some sections which were blasted through solid rock and some which have been relined in precast concrete segments. Our guide and steerer kept up an interesting running commentary the whole way through, despite the PA system being rather temperamental.

Towards the Tipton end of the tunnel there were interesting-looking side tunnels and caverns, some of which we were to return to.

The extra tunnels and caverns got quite confusing as there are so many of them, some with video and light shows.

We emerged into Castle Mills Basin where we encountered another trip boat before winding.

At least four tunnels radiate from this basin; this is the unnavigable Wren's Nest Tunnel.

I believe the tunnel on the right here is the tunnel we came out of after the long passage from Parkhead; we were to enter the one on the left ...

... which took us to what I believe is the Singing Cavern. This has been lit for effect, but I would have preferred to see it au naturel.

Some of the time we were now reversing out of dead-end caverns/tunnels, adding to my confusion. This hole above us was not a construction or ventilation shaft. I think our guide told us it was where digging out the limestone broke through to the surface.

Did we go through here? I can't remember.

Some of our party got the opportunity to have a go at legging.

I would normally have leapt at the chance, but I had done it on a previous short trip into this tunnel some years ago so I let others do it.

Then we were in Shirts Mill Basin, the other large opening. Neither this nor Castle Mill Basin is accessible from the outside world.

In the centre is Lord Ward's Tunnel; the two bricked up portions either side were loading bays.

Another intriguing tunnel entrance - I don't know which.

We entered Lord Ward's Tunnel ...

... and emerged back at the Dudley Canal and Tunnel Trust's visitor centre.

As part of the trip we enjoyed a buffet laid on for us in the visitor centre.

I acknowledge there is a lot I haven't said, and I apologise for any errors, but the Trust has lots of information on its website. Possibly the most useful page is here.

A very good trip, well worth doing. Thanks again, Tim.

No comments: