Saturday 8 December 2012

Solar pillar at Hillmorton Locks

Now, I may be behind the times here, but I think I haven't blogged about these solar pllars before.

This one is at Hillmorton Locks, and they're a common sight near locks. I think they must be to provide power for the system which measures lock usage, but putting "solar" into an internet search engine returns millions of results, so I haven't been able to find out.

****************

I was getting along well with Neil's photo quiz - until I came to the one with the different signs giving distances and locks to various locations. I thought it was going to be Worcester - right number of locks and miles to Birmingham from there, but the other locations didn't work. I'm waiting for Neil's next post!

3 comments:

Peter Lee said...

I'm not sure about the thing you show but I know of a solar powered water level sensor on the restored Droitwich Junction Canal - see my web page here:
http://www.leepd60.net63.net/DEIcanal401z.htm
I think BW (CaRT) use solar powered devices as it it very expensive to get the local electricity distribution company to install a mains supply, compared to the cost of a solar panel.

Stephen said...

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/bpkj7zp

Halfie said...

Peter, thank you.

Stephen, thanks, that bollard looks the same as the one I photographed. I don't recall having heard about the Association of Inland Navigation Authorities before. Does it still exist? Their webste looks a bit out of date.