Tuesday 10 May 2011

First poppy, lots of Canaries and an old car

On my way to work this morning I spotted a sole red poppy, the first I've seen this year. I stopped on my way home for this photo.


The big event in Norwich was the celebration of Norwich City Football Club (The Canaries) marking its promotion to the Premier League. Speeches from the balcony of City Hall, crowds of fans, bus carrying players parading through streets - you know the sort of thing.


And the old car? Just after the poppy stop I was overtaken by a Wolseley 1500, a car I remember from my childhood. Somehow my parents, my two brothers and I - and our luggage - went on long journeys in a Wolseley 1500. (There was one memorable trip to France where the car broke down.) It looked tiny when it went past.

No photo (I was on my bike), but here's one I've borrowed from John Langham.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I shall never forget it! We packed everything into a taxi to take us to Cherbourg - not quite everything. I forgot to unscrew the big old metal AA badge.

H.S.

Anonymous said...

I planted some poppies in a plant pot at the back of the boat earlier this year. It was only afterwards when I read the instructions I realised they'd been delicately placed upside down. So we shall wait,, and wait & see...

H

Martin said...

Halfie,
Did all the players help to carry the bus, or did they all have one each?

Halfie said...

Heth, in a few years time some poppies are going to pop out in Australia! Either that, or they will do a bit of gymnastics in your pot and come up anyway, albeit slightly dizzy.

Martin, now if there'd been a hyphen between "bus" and "players" you'd have had a point!

Flingel said...

not sure I see it re the hyphen Halfie - I think I'm with Martin on this one ..... yes ok, maybe I'm at a bit of a loose end this afternoon!