Sunday 15 May 2011

Curdworth it, and Brahms (but no Liszt)

Continuing south along the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal on 5th April we ascended the Curdworth locks (this is Curdworth Shop Lock and Marston Lane Bridge) ...


... through the Curdworth Tunnel ...


... to tie up just beyond. Convenient for the White Horse, where we ate (gammon, egg and chips for me; Hunter's Chicken for Jan). I had a pint of very tasty Ubu.


The next morning I walked round the village and saw this lovely old timber and brick barn.


And here's the church.

*******************

Fast forward to yesterday: we both sang in Brahm's Requiem in a concert at the parish church. It was a challenging work, especially for our smallish choir (27 singers), but I think we got away with it. We were very fortunate to have David Dunnett, the organist of Norwich Cathedral, to accompany us, together with two fine soloists: soprano June Harrison and baritone Ed Ballard. Neil Ricketts conducted.


I took the photo on a 10 second delay - I just had enough time to get to my position in the basses (back row on the left).

edited to correct a spelling

5 comments:

Vallypee said...

Oops, I thought this was part of your last post. I've left a comment and a question there, Halfie. Love following your travels!

James said...

What a small world it is, Ed was in the same year as me at Clare, reading the same subject.

Halfie said...

VallyP, I'll reply on the other post!

James, now, if only I'd known! I trust you got to hear him sing.

Anonymous said...

"I think we got away with it"
I recognise the quotation, but from where?

Anonymous

Halfie said...

Anonymous, it's something our friend Philip from home used to say after singing a concert. Of course, he might have borrowed it from someone else.