Thursday 1 April 2010

Watch that kettle, it might not boil

When we arrived at the cottage in Bakewell at 3.00pm the first thing to do after unloading the car was, of course, to make some tea. Having filled the kettle I put it on the ring and lit it.


After several seconds I became aware of a smell of burning paper. Oh, there's a bit of something stuck to the bottom of the kettle, I thought. As I lifted it off the flame the burning paper smell was overtaken by a much stronger burning plastic smell. On inspecting the underside of the kettle everything suddenly became very clear.


Yes, the kettle which looked exactly like the one we use on the gas hob on Shadow was actually an electric kettle. And I'd lifted it off its base to fill it. My excuses are that at home we have an older-style jug kettle which has a lead plugged into it; and that the one in the cottage was designed to look just like a hob kettle. I mean, how ridiculous is that? It's inviting disaster. A wireless kettle, indeed!

Importantly, we did get that cup of tea. By holding the kettle down on its base I got it to make a connection.

We owned up to the, er, owners, and bought a replacement. All ready for the next occupants to destroy.

(that's the new kettle on the hob for illustrative purposes; the underneath shot is the real thing)

OK, I've confessed to a senior moment.  Now it's your turn.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Haha! Jacqui & Marianne have both done exactly the same here!

Halfie said...

Steve, I didn't think I would have been the only one! Someone somewhere is making money out of this.