Monday 26 April 2010

Setting foot in Nottingham


I was in Nottingham last week with a couple of hours to explore the Nottingham Canal while changing trains. I've driven through or past, but I don't recall having ever set foot in the city before.

As the train drew in to the station from the west I glanced up to see "BRITISH WATERWAYS" in huge white letters on the top of a warehouse. Ah. So that's where the canal is. Three minutes after disembarking (no, you probably can't "disembark" from a train, but I can't bring myself to say "detraining") I was on the towpath.


Heading west, back towards the BW warehouse, the towpath led over a junction bridge where an arm, now almost completely obliterated, turned off the main line. A few yards remain as a water feature beside the Magistrates' Court. I like the regular gently sloping setts of the bridge.


view from what remains of the arm towards the main line

the top photo is looking towards Wilford Street Footbridge

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Very nice photos Halfie. I remember Nottingham from when I was a student! It was a very nice town then. I hope it still is now.

Halfie said...

Thanks, VallyP. I didn't really see much of Nottingham, but the canal environs were nice!

Anonymous said...

I spent two separate weeks in Nottingham in 1950, presumably on some RAEC courses. I remember nothing of the town. I do, however, remember the colonel's name:
Boyer-Bower - unforgettable!

H. Senior