Thursday 29 April 2010

Nottingham turnover bridge 2 and a cyclist


On my quick visit to Nottingham last week I stopped to photograph Station Street Bridge, a turnover/changeover bridge over the canal. (What do they call them in this region?)

As I readied myself to take the photo I hadn't noticed the cyclist just heading down the slope towards me. So I pressed the shutter and here's the result. And that's the difference (well, one of them!) between me and Andrew Denny. Andrew, I'm sure, would have waited a second until the cyclist was more prominent. There would have been a story to the picture - something happening - rather than another ordinary snapshot. Now, before you start telling me off again for being too modest, I'd like to point out that at least I have captured the cyclist, and the picture is more interesting as a result.

A couple of seconds later, as the cyclist whizzed past me, he apologised, presumably for getting in the way of my shot. Why do people do that? Like ducking if they think they're "in the way" of a TV camera. We might actually be wanting to film/photograph a scene with them in it, behaving naturally!

OK, there was a story to the picture, and I've just told it.

The opposite side of the bridge featured a smooth(ish) slope let into the steps for helping cyclists push their bikes up/down. I wonder how many try to ride down, and how many come to grief in the attempt?

1 comment:

Andy Tidy said...

You wouldn't want to stray too far on a bike!