Sunday 17 January 2010

London, LEDs and a question

On Christmas Day - yes, I know it seems a long time ago now, but I've realised I haven't posted these pics - after tea we went for a walk down to the River Thames. The water was glassy smooth and the air clear, the perfect combination for some reflective photos. This is Canary Wharf from the south side of the river. There was no boat traffic.


Greenwich had splashed out on a LED Christmas tree, well, not a tree exactly. More like a cone with a star on top.


Depending on how they're powered, LEDs often have a curious stroboscopic property which I find disconcerting in car rear lights and traffic lights. The LEDs on the "tree" were flickering on and off many times a second, especially noticeable when you quickly scan your eyes across them, or when you take a photo while moving the camera, as here.


Would someone with experience of LED lighting on their boat like to confirm that their lights give a steady illumination and don't flicker? Thanks.

3 comments:

Alf said...

Got led's in a G 11 fitting which we use for reading with & dont notice any flicker. Alf

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

We have LEDs right through the boat and I have never noticed this effect but I have not noticed it on rear lights or traffic lights.Maybe you are more sensitive to high speed flashes than me and I just cant see it.
Brian

Halfie said...

Alf and Brian, thanks for your responses. Yes, perhaps it is my over-sensitivity.