Monday 18 January 2010

Canals and the Docklands Light Railway


I love travelling on the Docklands Light Railway in London, especially when I can get a seat right at the front. It's disconcerting at first, as there's no driver. Not a human one, that is. It's all computer controlled, meaning that there's nothing stopping you seeing along the tracks. I took the above photo as we entered Canary Wharf Station.


You quickly get used to being able to see where you're going, and not being next to the driver. It's a bit like sitting in the bow of a boat going along the canal (OK, the speed's not the same, but you know what I mean).

I snapped what I could of the waterways as we crossed them on this Boxing Day 2009 trip: this is Limehouse Cut...


... and, a few seconds later, here is Limehouse Basin


...and here.


Had I looked the other way I'd have seen the Regents Canal heading off northwards.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that the DLR is great fun - over summer I regularly used it to commute East towards Stratford - I never tired of the view! I was shocked at how much the track twists, turns and slopes - so different to an ordinary train.

Sue, Indigo Dream

Halfie said...

Yes, much more like a roller coaster. Great fun!

Andy Tidy said...

Its one of my rat runs to our head office on Docklands.
Capt A