Thursday 14 May 2009

A tight squeeze


These Trent and Mersey lock tails can seem like a tight squeeze for narrowboats, but the lorry on the bridge was experiencing its own navigational problems. There are major differences, of course: a slight nudging of the brickwork by a boat, although best avoided, will cause little or no damage; whereas a small misjudgment on the part of the trucker, who was reversing, could have resulted in serious damage to the bridge. Perhaps the vehicle was returning from a delivery to the King's Lock Chandlers; perhaps it's not the first time it's done it. I doubt that the bridge was intended to bear such a heavy load, though.

It seems an age since the daffodils were out: in fact it was just last month that we passed through Middlewich on our way to Chester. Andrew Denny dislikes floral roadside memorials; I suspect he'd find the ones here similarly not to his taste.

One more thing caught my eye as I selected this photograph: the artwork on the side of the lorry perfectly mimics the hump of the bridge.

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Like the pic, although it does look gloomy. Hopefully the sin will come back soon.

Halfie said...

There's enough sin in this world, VallyP! But I'm sure the sun has been out a few times since this was taken a few weeks ago.

Vallypee said...

Ooops! *chuckle* you're right about the sin! And my call was indeed for the sun. Must tell you though, one of my favourite Dutch English translation howlers is when they (the Dutch) say "I always get my sin". The mean "way", but that's what 'sin' means in Dutch!