Wednesday 13 May 2009

Open heart surgery on my computer

This morning Carl rode up on his motorbike - a knight in leather* armour - and set to work on my malfunctioning Mac. It didn't take him long to open up the case...


... and remove the power supply. This is it, in situ.


And here's another, wider, view of the inside of my Mac. The power supply is at the top left.


There was nothing obviously wrong with it, not to my eyes, anyway: no bulging or exploded capacitors which I'd been half expecting.

The moment of truth approached: with the new power supply connected, and with the innards exposed, would the machine fire up? Carl plugged in the mains lead ... pressed the button ... and ... YES!!! The fan started and the white light glowed. Diagnosis correct, and replacement part a good 'un. Two relieved people and one happy computer. I immediately resolved to give Carl a little extra something.

It only remained for Carl to put the case back together ...


... and finish his (now cold, surely?) coffee.

A slightly scary moment came when Carl powered it up again, this time in a special mode which made the fan run at full blast: a puff of what looked like smoke issued from around the screen. Quite normal, said Carl. It's just blowing the dust out. We talked about a few aspects of Mac operation which I hadn't fully grasped; and Carl downloaded for me "Camino", an alternative web browser to the default Safari. I'll try this for a bit as it's supposed to be faster (but the layout for composing blog posts doesn't seem as good).

Carl had been able to get the new power supply at a good price, so he charged me slightly less than what he'd quoted over the phone, which was especially good of him considering he'd had a two hour journey to get here. He did say that next time he'd have to charge a bigger callout fee, but I'm rather hoping that there won't have to be a "next time".

So, would I recommend Carl to those of you with Macs? You bet! (No surprise there.) Carl got back on his motorbike with his "little extra": a painted windlass for the boat he hasn't got yet.

Back to Peterborough for him, and back to blogging - with photos - for me. Excellent!


*not necessarily actually leather, but you know what I mean.

3 comments:

Carl said...

John, nice to meet you and glad I could help.

Thanks for the windlass - I just need to find someone to donate a narrowboat!

Halfie said...

And thanks again, Carl. I'll see if I can put a link to Maclogics on the right.

Vallypee said...

Phew! I never think of Macs having problems. Nasty moment indeed. So far, fingers crossed, i've never had a problem with mine, and the UK's too far for me to look Carl up!