Saturday 28 July 2018

Camera SD card issues

The other day I mentioned that I was sure I took a better photo of the Wissington plant than the ones I published. Well, I've found it.

All right, it's not that spectacular. But the point is, I found it lurking in the camera's built-in memory and not on the SD card. I wonder if the card is getting a bit flaky. On a couple of occasions recently the camera has told me there was an error writing to the card, so I reinserted it and it was fine. I reseated the micro-SD card within the adapter as well. All the contacts look fine - can the card "wear out"? Should I get a new one?

4 comments:

nb Bonjour said...

When mine did it I also cleaned the terminals with the cleaning cloth for my glasses, and took out the battery and re-inserted as they sit next to each other. It's been ok since
Debby

David Lomas said...

Hi John. I've just had the micro SD card in my mobile fail. It was a genuine Samsung one, so they do fail. I tried cleaning the contacts & formatting it, but eventually had to replace it. Good luck. Enjoying the blog.

Dave Ward said...

"Can the card "wear out"?"

I've had a micro USB stick go pear shaped, after less than a year, but it was subject to some pretty hard use - lots of read/write cycles, including large video files. Windows has a basic error checking facility - insert your memory card into a reader, and plug that into a PC. Right click on it from "Computer", select "Properties" then "Tools" and finally "Error Checking". I wouldn't do this until you've copied all the files to another drive! But considering how cheap they are nowadays, just bin it and buy another...

Halfie said...

Thanks all for your comments. It sounds as though I'd better get a new card pronto.