Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Replacing Jabsco Par-Max 2.9 water pump

On Sunday I looked at the water pump under the bed and found a small flood. I don't know if the water was coming from the connections or the body of the water pump itself, so I replaced the pump and used the new O-ring connectors which came with it. This was an easy job as it was replacing like for like, a Jabsco Par-Max 2.9. Also, gate valves were handily there to isolate the pump.

I took this photo after sponging up the water and replacing the pump.

The computer fan is a temporary measure to help dry the surroundings.

There are two things about the pump's installation which might have led to the O-ring connections failing, if indeed they did. First, the pipes leading to the pump are fairly rigid, despite being plastic. Second, the pump is not screwed down - it merely rests on a couple of bits of foam insulation.

I think I could improve on this by using flexible hoses and screwing the pump down. For now, though, I'll see if what I've done stops the leak.

We returned home yesterday to find another minor flood. Our washing machine had been steadily filling up with cold water and leaking all over the parquet floor and into a cupboard. The solenoid valve on the cold feed must be not closing off properly. The biggest damage appears to be to the sliding cupboard door, the bottom of which has been wicking up the water causing the veneer to lift. Now the door won't slide open. Not sure what to do about it yet.

The boat, meanwhile, is at the boatyard for windows and a mushroom vent to be resealed in the hope that that will stop rain getting in. A gearbox oil leak will also be investigated, and a failed weld on a pigeon box flap will be rewelded.

1 comment:

Alf said...

You will find that when you install the flexi hoses not only do you relieve any pressure on the pump, but the it quietens the operation as well.