Wednesday 19 September 2012

Funny brick wall and a sign of transition

This is getting a bit "old news" now, but, for what it's worth, here are my photos of bridges 80 and 79 on the Oxford Canal.

This was almost four weeks ago, so I expect the rebuilding work has been more or less finished.

Here's Bridge 80...

... and this is Bridge 79. We had to squeeze past the works in the bridge hole - I don't know what a widebeam would have done.

Just to the left of the red-and-white post in the above picture is a curious low brick wall.

Was this to test the skill of the brickie? Or to test the mortar? Or did /does it have a practical purpose?

The sign by the works has a mix of Canal and River Trust logo and British Waterways words (the "enquiries" and the "emergency" details).

I see Blogger has decided to go over to the horrible new format for composing posts. It doesn't like my Mac's browser, probably because it is outdated. Grr.

3 comments:

Adam said...

The North Oxford is a narrow canal so a widebeam shouldn't expect to get through, works or no works.

No Direction said...

I would have demolished the bridge and replaced it with a cast concrete or steel one at 50% of the cost, only used by the farmer, we can't keep everything.

Halfie said...

D'oh! Of course, Adam! I was thinking of the combined section between Braunston and Napton (that's my excuse, anyway).

Ray, that's a good argument, but the trouble with it is that it could be applied to hundreds of bridges throughout the system. If the odd one here or there is replaced by a modern structure there will be little to stop more going the same way. The waterways would gradually lose much of their appeal and we would be worse off. I say spend the money, preserve our heritage, and give work to people who need work!