Monday 13 August 2012

Volunteers make the Olympic Games a success

After reading Sue's account of her less than satisfactory experience as a Games Maker (or volunteer) I thought I'd try to redress the balance slightly. As I commented on Indigo Dream's blog, we found the volunteers we encountered on the way to and from ExCeL to see the table tennis all that time ago welcoming, cheerful and fun. As would Sue have been, of course, had she been given the opportunity!


Many had the unmissable outsize pointing hands; some had loudhailers; and all would chat excitedly and enthusiastically about what we'd see. It was Day One - I wonder if all that exhilaration lasted to Day Sixteen?

Lord Coe (or was it Jaques Rogge?) was right to applaud London 2012's 70,000 Games Makers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Richard's experience as a volunteer is far more typical than mine - he's had the time of his life :-)

Sue, nb Indigo Dream

p.s. I was so envious of the people with the 'sponge fingers' - I want one!

Vallypee said...

It all looked fantastic from here! And the people of London as well as all the volunteers deserve heaps of praise.