Monday 11 July 2011

Curly Wyrley

7th April 2011
After ascending the eight Walsall Locks we came to Birchills Junction where we joined the Wyrley and Essington Canal.


We were now back on waters we had travelled before, but long enough ago for me to have forgotten it. I hadn't forgotten that rubbish lurks not far below the surface, and we had to clear the prop at Brick Kiln Bridge.

At Sneyd Junction we didn't, unfortunately, have time to explore the remains of the Wyrley Branch with its infilled lock.


Just round the sharp left bend at the junction I spotted a bird of prey overhead. Sparrow hawk?


We were on a mission to make it down the Wolverhampton 21 before nightfall - and we were due to meet up with Captain Ahab at the locks (already blogged here) - so I passed on the opportunity to nose into Holly Bank Basin. One for another time.

5 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Halfie,The bird in the photo looks like a buzzard to me. Its broad rounded wings and shortish rounded tail are the things to look for. Also was it circling in flight, with few and slow wing beats? thats another trade mark of them.

Halfie said...

Paul, thanks. I can't remember its flight characteristics - it was too long ago! Unless it's a bird I know, such as blackbird, robin, starling etc., I'm fairly useless at identifying them.

Anonymous said...

I gave you a bird book!

H.S.

Halfie said...

H.S., ah, yes, thank you! It never seems to be at hand at the right moment!

Vallypee said...

Looks lovely and peaceful. The bird definitely has the shape of a hawk, and as it doesn't look that big, I'd go with the sparrow hawk idea too.