Friday 1 October 2010

New waterways guides

All I wanted yesterday (actually, that's not quite true) was to be able to link* to HarperCollins, the publisher of the Nicholson's Guides, and I found myself at Collins Maps blog. There in front of me were details of a book released that very day (30th September 2010): The Times Waterways of Britain by Jonathan Mosse. It's subheaded "An Illustrated Guide to Britain's stunning waterways".



Looking more coffee table than cabin top, the blurb on the blog says

A highly illustrated hardback book of the navigable waterways of Britain, it is packed with maps of the canals and photographs of scenes along the waterways.


I came across the author while cruising the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in the rain two years ago.


I was cruising, that is; Jonathan Mosse was covering the system by bicycle, researching for the next edition of the Nicholson Guides. In the photo he's getting a GPS fix for the water and elsan points at Burscough Bridge.

+++++++++++++++++++++

On her Lucky Duck blog Amy rues the disappearance of the Nicholson Guide to the Broads and Fens, which went out of print, she says, in the early 1990s. Well, Amy, I have news for you. On the same Collins Maps blog I discovered that there is a new Nicholson Guide to the Norfolk Broads. (Although I expect you're far more interested in the Fens waterways, and there's no mention of them.)



Incidentally, I'm pleased to see that there's no "New Edition" flash on the cover. I have a "New Edition" Nicholson guide (number 1) dated 2000. No doubt there have been several reprints since then, and, no doubt, there will be a new "New Edition" in the fulness of time.

*I didn't get round to putting in the link yesterday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought that he was holding a banana. oopsies.