Wednesday 14 October 2009

Under Hurleston Reservoir


I've searched the internet, but I can't find out anything about this structure below Hurleston Reservoir. All right, I haven't searched the whole internet, I got a search engine to do it for me. But search engines need the right search terms to be able to do their job: just putting in "Hurleston Reservoir" gives too many results. If I knew what the structure was called I could put that in, but if I knew what it was called I would probably know what it was for ... and I wouldn't need to search for it in the first place.

This brick-lined cave isn't exactly below the water, but it is below the water level. (I tried "cave" as a third search term, which returned a mere 17 results, but none that I wanted.)


What is it for? Is it for draining the water out? There was plenty of water there at Easter this year, which I when I took the photographs.

3 comments:

Stephen said...

What's in the floor of the structure? A large stopcock, perhaps?

A couple of entries in Shropshire Archives 1873-1986, such as: "SU canal section. Hurleston reservoir. Proposed outlet valve chamber ..." http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=166-5465&cid=2#2

Vallypee said...

I'll pass on this one, Halfie. I wouldn't know what to look for!

Halfie said...

Steve, now you mention it, yes, I think there might have been a large stopcock there. So it must have been for draining it then.