Tuesday 19 April 2022

Curious flue arrangement

 I'm back!  That is, this blog is back - and I am going to try to keep it updated from now on.  I blame the pandemic.  Normal life stopped, very little boating was done in 2020 and I just got out of the habit of blogging.  Last year we boated more, but I found I had got far too far behind to write up the trips.


So here we are, on the Shropshire Union Canal in spring. We left our mooring in Market Drayton at 1045 and headed south.
Just below Tyrley Locks the tree man was keeping an eye on things, as usual.
For miles we were in sight of a distinctive hill to the west. It is, I believe, the Wrekin. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I had planned to get to Wheaton Aston in order to sample a curry at the Momtaj Spice, but it appears they are closed on Tuesdays. The phone number was "not able to connect". We stopped a little earlier, therefore, at Gnosall. On the way we encountered a tiny cruiser tied to the piling.
Its air draught must be no more than three feet, yet it has an enclosed cabin.
An unusual bird flew into a tree above us as we travelled along. It looks like a bird of prey - a hawk of some kind? This was the best photo I could get.
After tea we walked into Gnosall village. One house had a strikingly colourful display of flowers.
And the curious flue? This was attached to the side of a boat in a very sticky-out way. I wonder what it's for.
Autherley Junction tomorrow, but we might just nip up the Wolverhampton 21 as well to get slightly ahead.

2 comments:

Nick said...

We went from Drayton to Wheaton Aston a week or so ago and ate at the Hartley Arms which was very good. From a quick walk up into the village I don't think the Momtag is there any more I'm afraid (be pleased to be proved wrong!)

Halfie said...

Nick, yes, we have enjoyed a meal at the Hartley Arms before. Brian and Diana on Harnser also think that the Momtaj has gone.