Monday 10 January 2011

Is a 62 feet narrowboat too long?

Nev of Waterlily recently drew my attention to a 62' narrowboat for sale on Apollo Duck (thanks, Nev). It has nearly everything on my wish list: boatman's cabin, engine room, forward saloon etc., but is four feet longer than I was contemplating. The conventional wisdom is that to get round the entire connected system your boat must be no longer than 58 feet. But then I looked at the dimensions guides on Waterscape (you have to select the waterways you're interested in) and could find only one place that would be impossible for a 62' boat: the Huddersfield Broad Canal. Even the Leeds and Liverpool, it appears, can take a 62' boat.


Is this right? What will be inaccessible for a 62' boat?

9 comments:

Sarah said...

Possibly the Calder and Hebble. BW are conservative in their estimate of what will fit. There are tricks like going in backwards as well as diagonally that increase your scope but I'm not sure whether up to 62'. The Pennine Waterways website might have the info you need.

Adam said...

I think Sarah is right about the C&H.

ABNB have a useful page on lenght: http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/length.htm

Halfie said...

Thanks both - I'll have a look when I'm less busy ...

Andy Tidy said...

Halfie
This is the one that caught my eye:
http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=153272
Perfect apart from the price !

Anonymous said...

You could add the Rippon canal to the C&H and Huddersfield broad. We have met people that have said that they came down the Huddersfield broad with 60 foot, but we struggled with 57, I can't imagine what it was like with 60'. I would stay with 58' if you want to go around the whole system as the problem is not only one of physically fitting into the lock but you can have a problem with water leaking through the gates.

Alan

Nev Wells said...

Halfie,

Question is - can you get what you want into a 58 foot shell?

Nev

Hope you are feeling better.

Halfie said...

Andy, Fortuitous by name, maybe, but not by nature. Diesel CH and bowthruster are not for me. Besides, no mention of boatman's cabin or engine room, and far outside the budget!

Alan, I know what you mean about leaking gates. When we ascended the Bingley Three and Five Rise locks in Lee Swallow (as in the photo) we managed to get a small flood in the saloon. And that was "only" 58'.

Nev, yes, we can get all we want into 58 feet. Most of the time it'll be just the two of us - and we manage fine in Willow, with its 40 feet.

And I am feeling much better, thanks.

Sarah said...

Halfie... Do you still have my email address? (I'm afraid I seem to have lost yours though I know I put your card somewhere safe). Warrior may be coming on the market soon. 54', back cabin, 1937 National DM3 rebuilt by RN at vast expense, foreward saloon, new galley, big double bed under tug deck... well, you've seen it.

Halfie said...

Sarah, I don't have your e-mail address, but I've asked one of the Ducks to send you mine.