Tuesday 18 August 2009

Canals from the train


Limekiln Lock, Trent and Mersey Canal, Stone, April 2009

A strong memory from my student days of travelling to and from Manchester by train is the tantalising glimpse of Chester's Northgate staircase locks, apparently carved out of rock. I determined then that, one day, I would go through those locks myself: an ambition achieved four years ago. Of course, the Northgate locks weren't the only ones spotted from the train between Euston and Manchester Piccadilly all those 30+ years ago; and today I'm always on the lookout for canals, whether from train or car.


Northgate Locks with the railway crossing just below: it was from this bridge that I had my first views of these locks

In April this year we moved Shadow from Stockton Top Marina on the GU to Tattenhall Marina on the Shroppie. As I'd left the car at Stockton I went back by train to pick it up which gave me the opportunity for more canal spotting. This time I had my camera with me.


turnover bridge immediately north of Harecastle Tunnel, Trent and Mersey Canal


same location, a couple of seconds later

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can it be the same location?
It looks totally different. Please elucidate.

Halfie said...

The last two photographs are both taken as the train passed over the same railway bridge over the canal. The railway bridge is at an angle to the canal: the turnover bridge in the second photo is now seen through railings - which, I concede, have suddenly changed - and just the eastern end of it is visible. The tunnel keeper's building, with its pitched roof and white chimney, can be seen in both pictures. And the canal's the same colour (of rust).

OK, I might have lied about the time interval between the two photos. I've checked the originals: they're actually separated by 3 seconds, according to the metadata.

Vallypee said...

Wow, great shots Halfie, especially from a moving train! Glad you achieved your dream by the way.