Wednesday 14 January 2009

Outright boat ownership...


... may be on hold for a bit. Ben, our soon-to-be-son-in-law, has had his application to Manchester University rejected, so he and Ally won't be requiring accomodation in that vicinity. Cardiff is next on his list, but that's not too convenient for living on a narrowboat. (I had offered to buy a narrowboat for them to live on temporarily had they been in the Manchester area: when they had found more permanent accomodation the boat would then have been mine, all mine (ha haaargh!).)

Do I wait until I retire, or do I take the plunge sooner? After all, my savings aren't earning much interest these days.

6 comments:

Nev Wells said...

Halfie,

We scratched the itch and have never regretted it. If anything it gives us the feeling of a fallback lifestyle if it all goes bad.

I suppose it depends on finances at the end of the day but if you want it you will find a way of getting it (well that's my style anyhow)

I say go for it my old man departed this earth at 59 which was another reason I went for it.

Nev

Anonymous said...

Cardiff is a fantastic place to be a student. Ben will love it there.

Dave

Halfie said...

Nev, I can see how your father's early death will have spurred you on. I still feel I need a decent excuse/reason to "dive in". One negative is the fact that the connected canal network isn't exactly on our doorstep. I just need a few more positives.

Dave, diolch i chi. I'm sure Ben would love Caerdydd, and he might still go there (see post above). I understand there are a few more universities he has yet to hear from.

Anonymous said...

Halfie, we bought our own boat last year after 6 years sharing on NB Symphony (very similar to Shadow).
We're very glad we did. One thing to consider, Ive never met anyone who said "We bought our boat too soon" !

Steve

www.justheaven.org.uk

Halfie said...

Steve - that's exactly what I need to hear. Thanks!

I suppose I must have "done" about six years on Shadow by now. (The original agreeent is somewhere...)

Vallypee said...

Sounds like an excellent plan! I've never regretted buying my barge...I think I'll be buried in it too, I love it so much!