Wednesday 2 July 2008

Boating on the Bure


Hoveton Little Broad

Helped the daughter with her geography project today. She'd decided to do it on the water quality of the Norfolk Broads, and today I rowed her and her friend along the River Bure from Horning. She had to collect samples from various locations, measuring temperature, dissolved oxygen, pH, and probably other things too. Before I went along I'd assumed that all we'd be doing was dipping sample bottles in every now and then as we went along, but it was a lot more complicated than that. The instruments needed calibrating before every measurement; multiple measurements had to be taken so that averages could be ascertained; notes had to be kept of location, sample bottle numbers, and so on.


daughter and friend on Wroxham Broad yesterday





various probes and meters

Our fridge now has sixty sample bottles in it.

Yesterday, when the weather was wall to wall sunshine, and the warmest day of the year, I had to be at work. So I dropped off daughter and friend at Wroxham Broad and picked them up after work. Today, a day off for me, I took them to Horning and rowed for them. It rained. Not too much, though, and I dried quickly (I was the one who'd left their cagoule in the car). It was good to be afloat again, though - and not long before we're in a narrowboat again!

(edit to add pic of Hoveton Little Broad (Blogger refused to put it in yesterday))

No comments: